Skip to content


From the Taxi Valencia website (MyTransfer), you can take various actions:

  • To check the prices of the most common taxi services, you can do so HERE
  • To book a transfer to or from Valencia Airport, you can do so HERE
  • To book a transfer to or from the City of Valencia, you can do so HERE
  • To request a taxi transfer quote, you can do so HERE
  • To request a minivan transfer quote, you can do so HERE

Although at Taxi Valencia (MyTransfer) we cover all destinations, the price list only includes the most frequent ones (this is done to avoid overloading the web server with too much data). If a destination is not listed, and you need to know the price, fill out the quotation form, and generally, within less than 1 hour, we will respond with the price for that destination. If you need to know the price urgently, you can call us at our phone number, we will be happy to assist you.

Below, you will find a series of frequently asked questions (FAQs) that are commonly posed to us.

If you don’t find the solution to your question, you can call us at the Taxi Valencia phone number 615708080. If you prefer, you can send us your question through our contact form.


I can't find the town I need in the Price List.

"We cannot include all towns (destinations) in the price list, as this would overload the server and significantly slow it down. Our goal is to provide you with the fastest service possible.

To find out the price for a town not listed in our price list, you can do so through the BUDGET FORM or by calling us at our phone number (615708080)."

What types of taxis do you use?

At MyTransfer, we have made a commitment to the environment, and the majority of our fleet consists of eco-friendly taxis.

From the Toyota Prius to the Toyota Prius Plus, at MyTransfer, we have continuously strived to evolve in line with society, selecting vehicles with minimal environmental impact. Currently, 80% of our vehicles are hybrids, and the remaining 20% are electric. We are gradually increasing the number of electric vehicles.
Toyota Prius.
Toyota Corolla.
Toyota Prius Plus.
Mercedes E-Class (upon request from our clients).
Mercedes V-Class Minivan, 7 passengers.
Mercedes Vito Minivan, 8 passengers.

What happens if my flight is delayed, do I have to pay an additional charge?
Monitoreamos los vuelos en tiempo real, tanto por los retrasos como por los adelantos. El tiempo de cortesía sin coste adicional es de una hora desde que aterriza el vuelo. Pasado ese tiempo, se aplicará una tarifa de 5€ por cada 15 minutos adicionales para los coches con capacidad para 4 pasajeros, y de 10€ por cada 15 minutos para las minivan.
How do I find my driver at the Airport or Station?

The driver will be waiting for you in the arrivals area (Airport, Stations, and Ports), once you have collected your luggage, holding a sign with your name.

However, the driver will have their phone number, and you will be provided with the reservations control phone number for Taxi Valencia so that you can be in contact with the driver in case of any incidents.

Do you have Baby Seats and/or Boosters for children available?

Yes, indeed. Additionally, the first baby seat and/or booster are completely free for medium and long-distance services.

How much luggage can fit in your cars?

It depends on the taxi, usually 3 large suitcases and some hand luggage. However, when making the reservation, please specify the number of suitcases so that we can send the appropriate taxi.

Do they charge a luggage supplement?

No. The price quoted when you make your reservation is what you will have to pay, not a cent more.

Do you provide service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year?

Yes, our taxis operate 24 hours a day. Please note that our office hours for receiving reservations are from 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM.

Do you provide services within the city of Valencia, or only for medium and long distances?

At MyTransfer, we specialize in medium and long-distance services. For local services, we only provide transportation to/from the airport, stations, and for pre-booked tourist routes.

Are the discounts you offer on your rates legal?

Yes, of course, it is legal. We apply discounts on road services, and the road rates (published by the Ministry of Development) do not establish any minimum amount per km; however, they do set a maximum amount.

Are your taxis insured?

Our taxis are fully insured and have the corresponding licenses issued by the Generalitat Valenciana.

What happens if the extra courtesy time is exceeded?

The extra courtesy time is 10 minutes at residences and hotels, and one hour at the airport. After this period, a fee of €5 will be applied for each additional 15 minutes for cars with a capacity of 4 passengers, and €10 for each additional 15 minutes for minivans.